Profession & Current Position
Professor of Haematology, Faculty of Health sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg; Head of School of Pathology, Faculty of Health sciences, University of the Witwatersrand and NHLS; Head of Clinical Haematology Ward and Service, Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital, Johannesburg; Head of the Main Haematology Diagnostic Section, Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, National Health Laboratory Service Haematology Laboratory, Johannesburg, South Africa; Director, World Federation of Haemophilia International training Centre in Johannesburg
Area of Expertise
Clinical Haematologist with special interest in haemostasis and thrombosis, clinical trials and other aspects of clinical and diagnostic haematology and pathology.
- President of South African Society of Haematology (SASH)
- President of South African Medical Association Gauteng Branch
- Fellowship: Management and Leadership of Higher Education South Africa
Qualification & Designation/s
MMed (Haem), clinical haematology subspecialist; Cert Clin Haem, Clinical haematoloy subspecialist; FCPath, Haematologist; MBBCh, Medical practitioner; BSc (Lab Med), Scientist
- Johnny Mahlangu, Kazimierz Kuliczkowski, Faraizah Abdul Karim, Oleksandra Stasyshyn, Et al. Efficacy and safety of rVIII-SingleChain: Results of a Phase I/III multicenter clinical trial in severe hemophilia A Blood. 2016; 128(5): 630-638 Impact factor 11.8
- Johnny N. Mahlangu, Margaret Ragni, Naresh Gupta, Savita Rangarajan, Et al. Prolonged Half-Life Recombinant Factor VIII Fc Fusion Protein (rFVIIIFc) for Perioperative Haemostatic Management in Severe Haemophilia A Thromb Haemost. 2016 Mar 10;116(1): 1-8 Impact factor 5.2
- J. N. Mahlangu, K. N. Weldingh, S. R. Lentz, S. Kaicker, F. A. Karim, T. Matsushita, M. Recht, W. Tomczak, J. Windyga, S. Ehrenforth and K. Knobe, on behalf of the adeptTM2 investigators. Small changes in the amino acid sequence of an rFVIIa analog significantly altered its clinical immunogenicity J Thrombosis Haemostasis 2015; 13: 1989-1998 Impact factor 5.56
- Johnny Mahlangu, Pedro Paz, Marion Hardtke, Fred Aswad, Jens Schroeder. TRUST Trial: BAY 86-6150 Use in Patients With Hemophilia With Inhibitors and Assessment for Immunogenicity Haemophilia- 2016 10.1111/hae.12994. [Epub ahead of print] Impact factor 2.6
- J. N. Mahlangu, T. A. Andreeva, D. E. Macfarlane, C. Walsh, N. S. Key Recombinant B-domain deleted porcine sequence factor VIII (r-pFVIII) for the treatment of bleeding in patients with congenital hemophilia A and inhibitors. Haemophilia 2016 October DOI: 10.1111/hae.13108 [Epub ahead of print] Impact factor 2.6
Featured in the Media
Canadian Haemophilia Society Interview on rFVIIIFc; SABC TV, ITV Network, Metro FM and SAFM interviews on Haemophilia; Media release on Haemophilia for World Haemophilia Day; Media Interview on Haemophilia (Marion Sher).