Prof Charles Parry
Our goal is to generate knowledge and propose policy and other interventions that will lead to a reduction in alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) use and the associated burden experienced by individuals and society.
Our focus is on:
- Measuring the prevalence of alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) use and associated consequences, and trends in ATOD use/consequences over time;
- Identifying current and future risk and protective factors for ATOD use (especially in high risk groups);
- Designing and evaluating appropriate preventive and other interventions;
- Facilitating the implementation of research findings by supporting advocacy efforts and providing information that will allow policy makers, service providers and community representatives to make informed decisions;
- Undertaking research that will lead to the improvement of methods for assessing the prevalence of ATOD use and associated consequences, and evaluating the effectiveness of such interventions.
Prof. Charles Parry - South African experience with alcohol policies from FARE on Vimeo.