Profession & Current Position
Epidemiologist & Associate Scientific Director: CAPRISA
Area of Expertise
HIV/AIDS, Sexual reproductive health, surveillance, Adolescent Health, Implementation Science
- L’Oreal-UNESCO Women in Science Laureate for Africa and the Middle East.
- eThekwini Living Legends Award in recognition of contributions to HIV and Women’s Health.
- TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize, for life-saving research into medical and social strategies against HIV and AIDS.
- SAMRC Scientific Merit Award, as an outstanding South African Scientist.
- Science-for-Society Gold Medal ASSAF Award, in recognition of significant achievement in the advancement or the application of science.
Qualification & Designation/s
PhD (Medicine); Diploma in Public Service Management (cum laude); MS (Parasitology); Higher Education Diploma (Post-graduate); BSc (Hons) (Biochemistry); BSc (Microbiology, Biochemistry)
NRF A rated scientist; Fellow: Royal Society of South Africa; Academy of Science of South Africa; African Academy of Science (Vice-President: Southern Africa); The World Academy of Science; Organisation of Women in Science and Development; US National Academy of Medicine (Foreign Associate)
- Abdool Karim Q, Abdool Karim SS, Frohlich JA, Grobler AC, Baxter C, Mansoor LE, Kharsany ABM, Sibeko S, Mlisana KP, Omar Z, Gengiah TN, Maarschalk S, Arulappan N, Mlotshwa M, Morris L, Taylor D, on behalf of the CAPRISA 004 Trial Group. Effectiveness and Safety of Tenofovir Gel, an Antiretroviral Microbicide, for the Prevention of HIV Infection in Women. Science 2010; 329(5996): 1168-1174. PMC3001187
- Abdool Karim SS, Naidoo K, Grobler A, Padayatchi N, Baxter C, Gray AL, Gengiah T, Gengiah S, Naidoo A, Jithoo N, Nair G, El-Sadr WM, Friedland G, Abdool Karim Q. Integration of antiretroviral therapy with tuberculosis treatment. N Engl J Med 2011; 365(16):1492-1501. PMC3233684
- Abdool Karim SS, Abdool Karim Q, Kharsany ABM, Baxter C, Grobler AC, Werner L, Kashuba A, Mansoor LE, Samsunder N, Mindel A, Gengiah TN, for the CAPRISA 004 Trial Group. Tenofovir Gel for the Prevention of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Infection. New England Journal of Medicine 2015; 373(6):530-9.
- Simon V, Ho DD, Abdool Karim Q. HIV/AIDS epidemiology, pathogenesis, prevention, and treatment. Lancet. 2006; 368(9534):489-504. PMC2913538
- Abdool Karim Q, Carla AbouZahr, Karl Dehne,Viviana Mangiaterra, Jack Moodley, Nigel Rollins, Lale Say,Nathan Schaffer, James E Rosen, Isabelle de Zoysa. HIV and maternal mortality: turning the tide. Lancet, 2010, 375, 1948-49.
Featured in the Media
Numerous newspapers and magazines; Lancet profile
Association to the SAMRC
Prof Abdool Karim started her research career at the Medical Research Council in 1989, initially in the Amoebiasis Programme and founded the AIDS Research Program in KwaZulu-Natal in 1989 and led this programme until 1994. She joined the SAMRC again in 1997 as a Senior Scientist in CERSA and played a key role in the grant applications to join the NIH HIV vaccine and prevention trials networks until 2000.