The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Individuals are invited to submit applications in response to the following position:
SAMRC- Legal and Compliance Services Department
Parow Valley, Cape Town
Permanent Full Time Position
Reporting to: Senior Legal Advisor: Legal and Compliance Services
The SAMRC’s Legal & Compliance Services Department currently requires the services of one or more Legal Advisors.
QUALIFICATIONS: The candidate must hold at least an LLB degree and have undergone a term of articles, performed the required Legal Practical Training courses and / or pupillage (unless exempt by the relevant law society, bar council or other SAQA accredited professional legal association, on account of recognition of prior learning or experience) and who is an admitted attorney and / or Advocate in South Africa.
It is also recommended that the successful candidate will have a basic (semester or less, module / course) from a recognized higher learning institution or a vocational seminar / workshop qualifying for no less than 3 SAQA credit points, in one of the following:
- Health / medical law; or
- Public Policy Development and Legislative Drafting; or
- Alternative Dispute Resolution; or
- Consumer Protection Law; or
- Commercial Transactions Law / Competition law; or
- Intellectual Property Law; or
- Corporate Governance
It is also expected that the successful candidate will have special training or skills/competencies in:
- Legal research, legal reasoning.
- Understanding and basic experience of the litigation process
- Professional and well disciplined, attention to detail, confident, shows initiative, is approachable, and works well in a team.
EXPERIENCE: It is a requirement that the candidate must have at least three years relevant post-admission experience in a corporate or commercial practice in-house environment.
SKILLS, WORK EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES: The Candidate must hold a proven track record in the following legal areas:
- Public sector law and the related legal framework within which the government components, utilities, enterprises and agencies operates;
- Strong litigation experience in the lower courts and basic understanding of litigation in the higher courts;
- Thorough understanding and grasp of the common law;
- Thorough understanding of the law of contract;
- Ability to draft sound and reliable policies, communications, and commercial documents;
- Ability to draft sound and reliable contracts;
- Basic understanding and knowledge of Intellectual Property law, including designs, patents, copyright and trademarks;
- Practical grasp of Corporate / Commercial law, and related practices and procedures, especially in the public sector;
- Practical understanding of Labour law, including Human Resources and Industrial Labour Relations covering individual and organised dispute resolution proceedings;
- Exposure and understanding of relevant health, scientific, technological and medical law, handled by, impacting on or affecting the SAMRC.
Candidates must furthermore be able to understand the business and operations within which he or she will be operating, be equipped with good negotiation and communication skills, presentation skills, business and legal drafting skills, as well as dispute resolution skills and importantly, the ability to work under pressure.
The Key Performance Areas will entail:
- Compiling and structuring legal instruments appropriate to the legal advice required to enable the business to accomplish the strategic objectives set;
- Negotiating contracts including commercial agreements in collaboration with project teams;
- Drafting, vetting and amending contracts and agreements independently;
- Managing litigation (initiating or defending) where so instructed on behalf of the SAMRC in matters pertaining to it;
- The demonstration of and employment of excellent legal research skills;
- Monitoring public policy and legislative developments relevant to the MRC;
- Developing SAMRC internal policies / protocols / precedents / frameworks;
- Conducting presentations and training on legal issues and legislation;
- Attending to Labour Relations including individual and organised dispute resolution proceedings.
MOBILITY AND DRIVERS LICENSE: Candidate must have a willingness to travel and work irregular hours, and be in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license to complete the profile.
PACKAGE: A cost-to-company (CTC) remuneration package in the region of
R 435 000, consistent with SAMRC’s Paterson D1 package range, per annum will be negotiated in accordance with qualifications and experience.
SAMRC EMPLOYMENT POLICY AND RELATED PROCEDURES:
The SAMRC attracts, develops and retains talented individuals with the necessary qualifications, skills and experience to achieve the SAMRC vision and mission.
The SAMRC furthermore promotes a diverse workforce that meets the employment equity targets established in the SAMRC in line with the Employment Equity Act, 55 of 1998, as amended, and other related legislation.
The SAMRC will interview and base its decision on whether the application meets the SAMRC criteria, in line with its Recruitment Selection Policy and Related Procedures.
APPLICATION DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Should you comply with the aforementioned criteria and would like to work in a highly stimulating and progressive environment, then do not hesitate to apply.
The SAMRC subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity.
Please quote the reference number (R95A) in the subject line of your email, CV and all other communications. Certified copies of your ID and highest formal qualifications must be submitted with this application..
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Closing date: 15 September 2017 - No late applications will be accepted.
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Interested candidates should send their CV, a covering letter outlining experience relevant to the key responsibilities of the post and contact details of three referees to: Mrs Lee-Anne Louw, Human Resources Division, SAMRC, P.O. Box 19070, Tygerberg 7505 or via fax 086 742-8365 or e-mail to email@example.com