The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Individuals are invited to submit applications in response to the following position:
Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Research Unit
Cape Town Office
Full-time position, 12 months contract
The Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Research Unit is looking for experienced field workers who will be responsible for recruiting, conducting interviews and project administrative duties for the Young Women’s Health CoOp. The Young Women’s Health CoOp study is a joint project between Research Triangle Institute (RTI) International and the SAMRC. The Study focuses on substance use among young women (aged 16-19) in Mitchell’s Plain and Gugulethu/Philippi. We require experienced fieldworkers who will be trained to conduct various study activities.
- Recruiting and tracking of study participants
- Conducting intake and follow up interviews
- Conducting biological testing (for drugs and HIV)
- General project administrative tasks including quality assurance, data entry and supply control tasks and daily reports
- Assisting project staff members with other tasks, when needed
- Transport of participants to and from the project site in Delft
- A matric certificate/NQ4 qualification
- A Valid driver’s licence
- Have experience in conducting peer-led interventions and other fieldwork activities for community-based research projects
- Have experience working with women or young people who use alcohol and other drugs
- Have experience working in communities such as Mitchell’s Plain or Gugulethu
Fluency in English and isiXhosa or Afrikaans are essential as is computer literacy.
A salary in the region of R121 000.00 per annum, cost-to-company, will be negotiated in
consideration of experience and qualifications and will be at the level of Senior Research
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R135A) IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Closing date: 31 January 2018
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please go to the following Web Site to complete an online application. https://goo.gl/forms/tr4kglCEchabKSrX2