The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Individuals are invited to submit applications in response to the following position:
Clinical Pathology Medical Technologist
HIV Prevention Research Unit
One Year contract
The successful incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of the clinical site research laboratory (CRSL) and/or clinical pathology bench at the Central Routine Laboratory. The overall management will have to be conducted in compliance with local and international regulations (SANAS, SA GCP, ISO 15189 and Division of AIDS (DAIDS) Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and US Code of federal regulations part 11, 58 and 42 CFR part 493).
- Bench level duties at the clinical research site laboratory and clinical pathology
- Manage clinical pathology specimen processes with precision
- Test and provide accurate, precise and verified quality results within optimal turnaround times
- Adhere to the internal and external quality control (QC) programmes/quality assurance with the daily assessment of internal controls, Levy Jennings charts and parallel testing with appropriate troubleshooting
- Perform laboratory investigations in all Clinical Pathology disciplines, ensuring compliance to pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical laboratory processes
- Manage stock at CRSL/bench level
- Maintain a systematic and accurate laboratory documentation system that is audit compliant
- Train, mentor and assess laboratory/clinical staff competency
- Perform validations, verifications and proficiency/competency testing applicable to Clinical Pathology and relevant to research and development
- Assess the appropriateness of tests to improve existing laboratory tests and to develop new tests and techniques to optimise and improve the provision of diagnostic services
- Prepare weekly and monthly technical reports
- Assist CSRL and Central Routine/Research Laboratory.
- BTECH in Biomedical Technology
- 3 years’ experience in Clinical Pathology
- Proof of current registration with the Health Professions Council of SA in Clinical Pathology Independent Practice
- Valid Code 8 driver’s license.
- Good Clinical Laboratory Practice [GCLP], International Air Transport Association (IATA) training will be an added advantage
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Willing to work outside normal working hours, i.e. shifts and weekends.
A salary in the region of R304 000.00 per annum, cost-to-company, will be negotiated in consideration of experience and qualifications.
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R80B) IN ALL COMMUNICATION.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Closing date: 22 September 2017
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please go to the following Web Site to complete an online application https://goo.gl/forms/FEyEDZmuM81nkhML2