The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Individuals are invited to submit applications in response to the following position:
Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Research Unit
Cape Town Office
Two full time position, 2-year contract
The Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Research Unit is looking for two experienced, energetic and organised study nurses to work on project TRUST, a cohort study examining the impact of alcohol use on TB treatment outcomes. Study nurses will be responsible for screening of participants, collection of blood and sputum samples, health chart review, and collection of behavioural data, among other duties. Candidates will be based in Worcester and will work within local health facilities.
- Ensuring compliance with study protocols
- Collection and preparation of biological specimens (blood, sputum, and urine) for analysis
- Coordination of chest X-rays
- Coordination of collection and transportation of biological specimens
- Extraction of data from health charts
- Completion of questionnaires
- Liaison with collaborators and with the Department of Health
- Have at least two to five years of relevant work experience
- Have a General Nursing qualification
- Are registered with the South African Nursing Council
- Speak fluent Afrikaans in addition to English
- Have a valid South African driver’s licence
- Have experience working with patients with Tuberculosis disease
A salary in the region of R233 000.00 per annum, cost-to-company, will be negotiated in
consideration of experience and qualifications and will be at the level of Senior Research
Successful candidates will be provided with relevant on-the-job training.
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R132A) IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Closing date: 30 January 2018
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please go to the following Web Site to complete an online application. https://goo.gl/forms/yVWbeZfyb8xRvPp02