The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Individuals are invited to submit applications in response to the following position:
Cochrane South Africa
Cochrane South Africa is an intramural unit at the SAMRC. Its vision is that healthcare decision-making within Africa will be informed by high quality, timely, and relevant research evidence. We seek to appoint an experienced scientist with a strong qualitative and/or quantitative research background, who will be expected to make a substantial contribution to the Unit’s research on vaccine acceptance and uptake. The successful candidate will be required to take up the position as soon as possible. The level at which the appointment will be made will depend on the experience and expertise of the successful candidate.
- Conduct high level scholarly research that has both strategic and policy relevance
- Develop data analysis plans for research concepts and publications
- Conduct literature searches for systematic reviews and seminars
- Deliver high-quality results and reports within budget and timelines
- Support the conceptualisation of research protocols and grant applications
- Write scientific reports/manuscripts/publications
- Present scientific outcomes at internal and external seminars and conferences
- Mentor junior scientists
- Project Manage funded projects
- Masters’ degree
- Recent publications in peer reviewed journals
- At least one first author publication (which may be a book chapter, a technical report, a conference presentation, a non-ISI indexed journal article, or higher level article)
- Experience in co-ordination of projects, organisation of data, and managing staff.
- Organizational skills and the ability to meet timelines
- Ability to work in a pressured environment
- Experience in research on vaccine acceptance or knowledge translation
A salary in the region of R435 000 per annum, cost-to-company will be negotiated in consideration of experience and qualifications.
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R67B) IN ALL COMMUNICATION.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Closing date: 6 October 2017
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please go to the following Web Site to complete an online application. https://goo.gl/forms/6Xh4cl7itkhd0PKE3