22 November 2016
SAMRC announces new board
Cape Town | The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) today announced its new complement of directors who will serve on the council’s board for the period 2016 to 2019.
The board, appointed by the Honourable Minister of Health Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, comprises sixteen leaders, fourteen of whom have distinguished themselves in various branches of the medical or related sciences; one with extensive legal background and one with expertise in finance, economics and/or accounting.
The SAMRC has demonstrated leadership in the areas of organisational transformation and prides itself in having achieved a clean audit for four consecutive financial periods. The organisation boasts both national and international collaborative research agreements and continues to contribute to the knowledge economy of South Africa.
President and CEO of the SAMRC Professor Glenda Gray says she is excited about the sound business opportunities that lie ahead for the council. These, she says, include but are not limited to the following strategic imperatives:
- Upholding the transformation agenda at all levels in the organisation
- Continue to direct financial resources to historically under-resourced universities and grow the next generation of black scientists
- Leverage government funding to propagate the medical innovation agenda with the aim to change the point of care for under resourced communities
- Maintain existing and strategically direct new collaborative relations with international research partners, funders and government to build cross border relations.
“We are, as the custodian of medical research, committed to scientific excellence by driving the imperative to find local solutions in response to our country’s burden of disease”, says Professor Glenda Gray, President & CEO of the South African Medical Research Council.
“We look forward to the diverse strategic leadership mix of the new Board,” says Gray who accepted the portfolio as the first female President in April 2014. “I am confident that the SAMRC will immensely benefit from the invaluable contributions of the new leadership”.
Appointed candidates will serve on the Board for a period of three years, effective from 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2019.
New SAMRC Board members:
- Prof Machaba Michael Sathekge - Chairperson
- Prof Quarraisha Abdool Karim - Vice-Chairperson
- Prof Elizabeth Anne Bukusi
- Dr Rachel Chikwamba
- Prof Mark Fredrick Cotton
- Dr Patricia Hanekom
- Ms Nafeesa Kadwa
- Dr Zilungile Lynette Kwitshana
- Prof Johnny Ndoni Mahlangu
- Prof William Ian Duncombe Rae
- Prof Brandon Shaw
- Prof Linda Skaal
- Prof Tholene Sodi
- Prof Sithembiso Christopher Velaphi
- Prof Lindiwe Zungu
- Prof Glenda Gray
NOTE TO THE EDITOR:
Visit Our Board webpage to view more information on our Board Members, or download the Board Bios Booklet .
Tel: +27 71 214 5272/+27 21 938 0676